Most of the top 40 pharmaceutical companies are members of the Simcyp™ Consortium. The FDA, EMA, PMDA and other regulators use the Simcyp Simulator.
Predict Drug Performance from Virtual Populations
The Simcyp Simulator is the pharmaceutical industry’s most sophisticated physiologically based pharmacokinetics (PBPK) platform for determining first-in-human dosing, optimizing clinical study design, evaluating new drug formulations, setting the dose in untested populations, performing virtual bioequivalence analyses, and predicting drug-drug interactions (DDIs). Simcyp is being applied to small molecules, biologics, ADCs, generics, and new modality drugs.
- The Simulator includes with extensive libraries on demographics, developmental physiology and the ontogeny of drug elimination pathways;
- An unmatched body of science, the Simulator includes 10 advanced mechanistic organs, 25 sub-populations, and 100+ compound files for use by member companies;
- Links in vitro data to in vivo absorption, distribution, metabolism, and excretion (ADME) and pharmacokinetic / pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) outcomes to explore clinical scenarios and support drug development decisions;
Simcyp PBPK models describe the behavior of drugs in different body tissues, with each tissue considered a physiological compartment. The concentration of the drug in each compartment is determined by combining systems data, drug data, and trial design information. The Simulator includes a unique set of genetic, physiological and epidemiological databases that facilitate simulating virtual populations with different demographics and ethnicities.
New Version 21 includes:
- Hepatic and Renal Impaired Populations
- Expansion of Genotype Library
- Expansion of Compound Library
- Expansion of the Human Brain Model to 5 Compartments
Analyze complex in vitro data using whole cell, tissue samples and solid dosage samples to assess the exposure, metabolism, transport, and dissolution/solubility of drugs
Simcyp™ Animal is a PBPK modeling platform for rat, dog, mouse and monkey, used to explain drug behavior that would be difficult to obtain via in vivo experimentation.
Delivering on the promise of PBPK
In the last decade, PBPK modeling and simulation has soared in its use and applicability—Simcyp, working with its industry, academic and regulatory partners has led the way. The Simcyp Simulator is employed across the drug development cycle:
- For early pharmacokinetic determination of first-in-human dosing and to answer other translational questions;
- Leveraged to support strategic decision-making, the Simulator provides valuable information for designing clinical trials, to reduce trial size and complexity and to obtain clinical trial waivers;
- The Simulator quantitatively evaluates and predicts drug-drug interactions (DDIs) involving drug-metabolizing enzymes and membrane transporters, to evaluate PK variability as a function of ethnicity, organ impairment, and pharmacogenomics;
- It predicts dosing recommendations for different populations of patients, including pediatrics, geriatrics, ethnicities, organ impairment.
Adopted by 11 global regulatory agencies including the US FDA, Japan’s PMDA, UK’s MHRA and others, the Simcyp Simulator has been used to inform scores of drugs, replacing the need for clinical trials and providing prescribing information for approximately 300 label claims.
Unique Capabilities—Specialized Modules
Beyond the work within the Consortium, the Simcyp team has collaborated with other organizations and funded its own research to develop unique modules. While connected to the Simulator, they require additional and optional licensing.
Specialized modules are:
- Simcyp Pediatric
Simcyp® Pediatric Simulator is the industry’s most sophisticated technology for modeling drug performance and determining dosing in neonates, infants, and children. The Simulator contains extensive libraries on demographics, developmental physiology, and the ontogeny of drug elimination pathways.
- Simcyp Cardiac Safety Simulator (CSS)
CSS is a systems biology-driven modeling and simulation-based platform for the assessment of the pro-arrhythmic potency of drugs, new chemical entities, and other xenobiotics within the targeted clinical population. It enables early assessment of cardiac liability and is used for both pre-clinical and clinical assessment of cardiac risk.
- Simcyp Long Acting Injectable (LAI)
LAI drug delivery provides advantages for specific drugs and patient types, including reduced toxicity, reduced dosing frequency and enhanced compliance. Simcyp’s LAI module is used to design experiments, narrow down promising formulation candidates, determine animal studies or clinical trials and fine-tune formulation based on study details.
- Simcyp Lactation
Unfortunately, dosing information for pregnant and lactating women is generally not available on the drug label. Simcyp has been focused on this topic, looking at women’s health across the gestational cycle. Simcyp lactation module predicts drug exposure in the mother and the milk to be given to the child, allowing for proper dosing of this fragile population.
Gaining the Simcyp Advantage through Consultancy
Innovative mid and smaller biopharmaceutical companies can gain the advantages of the Simcyp PBPK Simulator outside of joining the Simcyp Consortium or attaining licenses. Simcyp has a team of experienced and highly credentialed individuals that support smaller organizations on a per-project basis via consultancy. Generally, we begin with a feasibility assessment to determine if the appropriate data is available to conduct the modeling & simulation with a full project to follow.
- 药物相互作用模拟 – 引起作用的药物和受影响的药物
- Absorption modelling – formulation differences, food effect, virtual bioequivalence
- 特殊人群用药 – 儿科、老年人、器官损害、疾病状况、种族差异
- 新颖的给药途径 – 皮下、吸入、长效注射
- Biologics – mAbs, ADCs, cytokine mediated DDIs
- 早期 PK 预测，FIH 给药